Paraquat Dichloride is a very powerful and poisonous herbicide that is developed for weed-killing purposes in commercial cases. Most of the time, it’s farmers that interact with it and are at risk of getting Parkinson’s disease due to exposure. It is also possible for people that live near industrial areas to get affected by Paraquat. Over 32 countries across the globe have already banned the use of the chemical due to its concerning side effects.
Numerous people across the US have faced side effects and have gotten Parkinson’s disease. Are you suffering from these side effects? Then you need to contact a mass tort lawyer and file a class action lawsuit against Paraquat.
How Can a Person Get Affected By Paraquat?
There are several ways people may be exposed to Paraquat.
- Inhalation: If you breathe in the smoke emanating from a plant or through the aerosolized chemical, you are at risk of the side effects.
- Ingestion: This chemical can easily get infused in foods and drinks and can be deadly when it is ingested. Companies usually add odor or vomiting agents to the chemical.
- Direct contact: If this chemical comes in contact with your skin directly, it can cause damage, especially if it is long-term exposure.
What Side Effects Are Caused by Paraquat Exposure?
When someone is exposed to Paraquat, they can experience the following side effects:
- Pain in stomach
- Mouth and throat pain
- Swelling of the mouth and throat
- Low blood pressure and nausea
These are only a few side effects that can occur after immediate exposure. When the exposure is long-term or through direct contact, the following effects can occur:
- Fluid or water in lungs
- Failure of the river
- Renal and heart failure
- Weakness in general
- Depression and confusion
- Fast heart rate
- Scarring in the lungs
The Relationship Between Paraquat and Parkinson’s Disease
The most serious side effect that Paraquat has is a neurological disorder called Parkinson’s disease. Paraquat can cause neuron loss and disrupt the nervous system which can start appearing as tremors in hands and disruption of other motor functions.
Scientists in the U.S studied the correlation between this chemical and Parkinson’s disease. It was found that people that have exposure to Paraquat are three times more likely to get Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s can creep up on you slowly and go through its five stages. Slowly, they can render the victim unable to use major motor functions.
Here are some symptoms of Parkinson’s disease:
- Changes in general speech and talking patterns
- Hunching forward in posture
- Stiffness in joints and muscles
- Hand tremors and shaking frequently
- Slowed mobility that increases over time
Current Status of Paraquat Lawsuits
An official claim against Paraquat was filed and began on Oct 6, 2017. The lawsuit was filed against two companies, Growmark and Syngenta. Later on, Chevron Chemical was added as a ligitant to the lawsuit.
Who Is Eligible for Filing a Paraquat Lawsuit?
Anyone who has been the victim of exposure to this chemical and developed Parkinson’s as a result can file this lawsuit but you will have to talk to your mass tort lawyer to understand if you qualify.
Some exposures and symptoms may not qualify for the lawsuit but here are the must-have conditions:
- Licensed Paraquat applicators, landscapers, pickers, and also farmers
- People who live nearby farmlands that have been sprayed with Paraquat
- Anyone who deals with and works around commercial weed killers and pesticides
What is a Paraquat Settlement and What Can You Claim From the Defendants?
If you or someone close to you has been exposed to this chemical and has been affected by the side effects, you can claim damages like medical bills and lost wages. Attorneys hold these companies responsible because of the following reasons:
- The company should have known the side effects and the lethality of the product because they are the ones responsible for testing the product out before it rolled out in the market.
- The company failed to warn the users of the side effects
- Designed and marketed the product with negligence
- Did not take the necessary responsible steps to protect the users from harm
How Can We Help You?
Our legal team has been dealing with Paraquat class action lawsuits for years now and they can help you track down the right class action activity or claim to join in this regard. We have years of experience as mass tort lawyers and have the expertise and resources needed to file and fight the case on behalf of our clients who have been victims of Paraquat poisoning.
Need help? Contact us now.